Self-guiding at Møvik
The public is able to wander about on the cultural monument and the beautiful landscape at Møvik fort, using the self-guiding tour map.
The map allows you to wander about in the fortress grounds alone and at your own speed. Buildings and places of interest are marked on the map, complete with descriptions. Use the map to get to know the history of Møvik Fort.
The hiking trail tends to follow the old railroad routes through the area. The trail is marked as a main route along the outer perimeters of the fort, with a few detours to see other objects. All the objects mentioned have been given numerical signs in the terrain. The trail is generally easily accessible also for prams and wheelchairs.
Most of the buildings from the occupation are gone, but signs of the military activities are still visible in the form of bunkers, guns, trenches and foundation walls.
Bunker 55 is one of the two original German ammunitions stores for 38 mm grenades and ignition charges. This is a very special bunker, and well worth a visit.
Over the past few years Møvik Fort has undergone extensive safety work, which means that most of the bunkers and tunnels have been sealed off and are thus no longer accessible to the public.
Kristiansand Cannon Museum at Møvik Fort
The museum presents the history of Møvik Fort, and the exhibition contains the only remaining 380mm Krupp gun in the world. This is one of the biggest cannons ever built. During the summer, the cannon is operated once in July on "Kanonmuseets dag", which is a sight worth seeing.
A guided tour can be booked at the museum. There is a stall on the grounds selling refreshments, coffee, waffles and souvenirs.
How to get there
Take route M1 Flekkerøy
Take the E 39 Road to Stavanger, then follow the R456 Road towards Vågsbygd and finally the R457 Road to Møvik.
Møvik Fort was erected between 1941 and 1944 by the German Navy as one of the four coastal defence batteries that made up the Kristiansand artillery group. In the autumn of 1941, 744 Norwegians worked at the installations, as well as 231 Danes, 31 Germans and 356 men from the fortress pioneers. Prisoners of war from a prison camp on the field to the east of the fort were also used as labour. German experts were brought in to assemble the guns.
The battery was originally called the Kroodden Battery, but was renamed Batterie Vara to commemorate a German general who was killed during construction of fortifications on the occupied islands in the English Channel.
Møvik Fort on the Norwegian coast had a sister battery in Hanstholm in Denmark. They were built to block off the Skagerrak strait and the sea route to eastern Norway, Kattegat and the Baltic for the allied naval forces. This construction of heavy artillery was initiated on Hitler’s direct orders.
The cannon is one of the largest in the world, with a 380 mm calibre. The gun barrel alone weighs 110 tonnes, and is almost 20 metres long. It has a reach of 55 kilometres.
Today, Møvik Fort is a peaceful spot on the hills near Vestergabet to the south of Kristiansand.