Column was erected by King Oscar II in 1854 in memory of the first international measurement of the Earth’s shape and size. This scientific collaboration between Russia, Sweden and Norway was completed in Hammerfest in 1852. The project was led by the Russian scientist, Friedrich Georg Wilhelm Struve. The Meridian Column was inscribed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List in 2005. Located at Fuglenes.