The beautiful villa on Lysøen was built as a summer residence for the Norwegian violin virtuoso Ole Bull in 1873. Open to the public in the summer.
Ole Bull's charismatic personality and musical excellence had a great influence on the contemporary artists. He spent his summers relaxing on Lysøen, and often invited fellow artists and musicians.
The beautiful and extraordinary villa on Lysøen (the Island of Light) was built as a summer residence for the Norwegian violin-virtouso Ole Bull (1810-1880) in 1873.
Ole Bull also had created some 13 km of pathways, to provide his guests - and now you - with leisurely strolls through the lovely scenery of Lysøen. He died on the island in 1880. In 1973, his granddaughter Mrs. Sylvea Bull Curtis of Conneticut, donated the villa and all its contents to the society for The Preservation of Norwegian Ancient Monuments.
Café for light refreshments.
Bergen Light Rail to Nesttun. Bus no. 62 from Nesttun Terminal to Buena, 100 m. from Buena Quay. From there take the boat across the fjord to Lysøen.
By car: Follow road E39 southwards, then road no. 580 to Lagunen. Turn left on road no. 546 signposted Fana towards Fana Church, and drive over the Fana mountain to Sørestraumen. Follow the signs to Buena kai. From there take the boat across the fjord to Lysøen.