Known worldwide for its breathtaking fjords, there is no better way to explore Norway’s iconic scenery than on this twelve night self-drive. Taking it at your own pace, this holiday allows you to take to the trails as well as the roads and water to enjoy the magnificence of Norway.
Bergen is the starting point on this holiday, with the fresh mountain air and forest cloaked hills of Mount Fløyen only minutes from the city. However, this is just the beginning. The blue fjords cutting into green Norwegian countryside is what this self-drive is about. A crossing of Sognefjord, Norway’s deepest fjord, preludes a drive through the beautiful Skei and along the pristine shores of Jolstravatnet. The traditional waterfront of Ålesund is magnificent with colour and a night here is always a highlight.
This holiday offers several ‘free days’ where you can choose how much, or perhaps how little, active exploration you wish to fit in. For instance, your time in in the alpine beauty of Geirangeroffers a variety of beautiful stunning view points all with reach of your base here. An area criss-crossed with hiking trails, a walk to the abandoned farmstead of Skageflå on the edge of the fjord offers rewarding views of the surrounds.
The following day you will head to Briksdal where you can opt to walk the easy forty-five minute trail to an arm of Briksdalsbreen Glacier that proffers splendid photo opportunities.
After an overnight at Skei, you will visit Balestrand and two nights there provide plenty of time to enjoy a variety of active pursuits – choose from hiking, the mountains, taking a boat trip or perhaps even fishing.
Lofthus is the perfect way to end the holiday, with the nearby Hardangervidda National Park offering plenty of walks. A hike through nearby Husedalen’s tumbling waterfalls is a must and, depending on your energy level, can accommodate anywhere from two to six hours on the trail.
• Return direct flights between London Gatwick and Bergen
• 2 nights hotel accommodation in Bergen on a breakfast basis
• 1 night hotel accommodation in Forde on a half board basis or on board the Hurtigruten in an outside L class cabin on a breakfast basis
• 1 night hotel accommodation in Ålesund on a breakfast basis
• 2 nights hotel accommodation in Geiranger on a half board basis
• 1 night hotel accommodation in Skei on a half board basis
• 2 nights hotel accommodation in Balestrand on a half board basis
• 1 night hotel accommodation in Flåm
• 2 nights hotel accommodation in Lofthus
• 12 days car rental of an Opel Astra (or similar – other vehicles available on request), including unlimited mileage, CDW and taxes
• Car ferry crossings
• Toll fees
• Meals, other than mentioned above
• Petrol and personal expenses
• Additional excursions