Around Christmas, the Arctic cod swims down from the Barents Sea to spawn, and this fresh "skrei", served with its own liver and roe, is a rustic speciality drawing huge crowds of locals to all the seafood restaurants. Even at French gourmet restaurants, it has become a major event over the past few years when the season’s "Le Skrei" is served. And the Italians, Spanish and Portuguese make their own dishes from stockfish or split cod from Nordland.
Visit the following reataurants for a great stockfish experience:
- Børsen Spiseri, Svolvær
- Du Verden Restaurant, Svolvær
- Restaurant Kjøkkenet, Svolvær
- Henningsvær Bryggehotell, Henningsvær
- Restaurant Fiskekrogen, Henningsvær
- Blix Restaurant, Bodø
But seafood is not the only thing on the menu in Nordland. You should try tasty Lofoten Lamb. This brand is based on a unique collaboration between 100 sheep farmers in Lofoten, and only the best quality lamb is sold as Lofoten Lamb.
Hildurs Urterarium at Tilrem Farm north of Brønnøysund is one of the few herbariums and wineries in Norway. Here you can choose from a menu with ingredients from the local waters and mountains.
There are many excellent restaurants in Nordland where they have been inspired by the superb local ingredients. Many have also received awards, for example:
Du Verden Restaurant in Svolvær
The chef and owner, Roy Magne Berglund, has won a number of awards and distinctions:
- Chef of the Year 2003
- Best Coastal Kitchen of the Year, Stockholm 2003
- Battle for the Lion, Singapore, Gold Medal together with the Norwegian National Cookery Team, 2002
- Member of the Norwegian National Cookery Team, 2001 - 2004
- Fish Chef of the Year, 2000
- Finalist at Norwegian Championships, 2000
- First Place twice at the North Norwegian Cookery Championships in Henningsvær 1999/2000
Northern Norway's many culinary temptations from a plentiful pantry can be experienced through traditional and new dishes in the restaurants which are members of Arctic Menu. All of them serve new and traditional dishes based on high quality ingredients from Northern Norway.
Choose between fresh delicacies from the sea, lamb with a taste of sea and herbs from along the coast, delicious berries and vegetables matured in the light of endless summer days, and game of reindeer and grouse.
Visit some of these establishments whilst in Nordland (all members of Arctic Menu):
- Hildurs Urterarium, Brønnøysund
- Fru Haugans Hotel, Mosjøen
- Senterstua, Meyergården Hotell, Mo i Rana
- Bimbo Veikro, Mo i Rana
- Handelsstedet Forvik, Forvik
- Saltdal Turistsenter, Røkland
- Svartisen Turistsenter, Meløy
- Løvold Kafeteria, Bodø
- Fauske Hotell, Fauske
- Kobbelv Vertshus, Sørfold
- Grand Royal Hotel, Narvik
- Du Verden, Svolvær
- Henningsvær Bryggehotell, Henningsvær
- Finnholmen Brygge, Henningsvær
- Ramberg Gjestegård, Ramberg
- Hurtigrutens Hus, Stokmarknes
- SjøhusSenteret, Sortland
- Strand Hotell, Sortland
- Ekspedisjonen Restaurant & Kafebar, Nyksund
Small-scale and short-travelled food
Locally manufactured food gives you the opportunity of seeing how your food is manufactured "from field to table". Why not visit a farm? Or shop at the Farmer’s Market?
Small-scale processed, locally manufactured and short-travelled food are important to the environmentally conscious tourist. The project entitled Culinary Experiences in the North ("Matopplevelser i Nord") is designed, amongst other things, to contribute towards this.
Here are some of the good Farm Food Experiences in Nordland:
- Furuheim Gård Farm, Susendal near Hattfjelldal – food, accomodation and adventures
- Sæterstad Gård, Varntresk near Hattfjelldal - fermented and smoked mountain char, brown and white goat’s cheese, food and accommodation
- Vikgården, Mosjøen - country shop with local food from the whole region
- Godøynes Gårdsutsalg, Godøynes near Bodø - farm shop
- Lofoten Gårdsysteri, Vestvågøy in Lofoten - farm and cheese factory, farm shop, white goat’s cheese, Vestvågøy
- Aalan Gård/Farm, Vestvågøy in Lofoten - cheese, herbs and other produce from the farm, farm shop
- Blombakken Gårdsbutikk, Ballangen - farm shop, herbs, food and adventures
- Andøya Friluftssenter/Outdoor Centre, Buksnesfjord near Andøy - food, accommodation and adventures