That 7-day holiday combines the contrasting cities of Oslo and Bergen with the majesty of the mighty Sognefjord.
Not until the first decade of the 20th century, when Bergen and Oslo became linked by rail, could the two cities be reached from each other except by making an arduous trek over the Hardangervidda, Europe’s largest mountain plateau. Now, this 100-square kilometre stretch of land can easily be crossed in just one day travelling alongside rivers and lakes overlooked by mountains and, at the highest point near Finse, the Hardangerjøkulen glacier. This magnificent, world famous rail journey is known as 'Across the Roof of Norway'.
This holiday also features the picturesque village of Balestrand, which nestles on a short promontory of land backed by snow-capped mountains and overlooking the mighty Sognefjord. Travellers leave the main railway line at Myrdal and descend to the fjord via the Flåm Railway (another world famous rail journey!) and a breathtaking fjord cruise along the Sognefjord.
• Scheduled flights from Heathrow to Oslo returning from Bergen (via Oslo) including taxes
• 2 nights at the Hotel Bristol in Oslo (BB)
• 2 nights at the Midtnes Hotel or the Kvikne's Hotel in Balestrand (HB)
• 2 nights at the Augustin Hotel in Bergen (BB)
• Airport bus transfers in Oslo and Bergen
• The rail journeys Across the Roof of Norway and the Flåm Railway
• Fjord Cruise from Flåm to Balestrand
• Express boat from Balestrand to Bergen