Monastery ruins from the Middle Ages on the island Hovedøya. The ruins are idyllically situated in green surroundings.
The monastery was founded by English Cistercian monks. Abbot Philippus arrived to the island from Kirkstead, Lincolnshire in May of 1147, together with 12 monks and some lay brothers. They found a small church, which they extended it. Later, they built a monastery on the south side of the church, and dedicated it to the Virgin Mary. In 1532 the monastery was pillaged and burned down, and the ruins weren't excavated until 1845-47.