Store and Lille Torungen fyr (Large and Small Torungen lighthouse) were both built at the same time in 1844. It was necessary to build two lighthouses to separate the lighthouse outside of Arendal from Jomfruland and Oksøy lighthouses that both had one light.
Lille Torungen was closed in 1914 and all the buildings except the tower and the oil shack were dismantled or moved. At the same time, the tower of Store Torungen was replaced by a new tower in cast iron. The tower is 34,3 metres tall. The light station is large and includes living quarters, outbuildings, an old forge, the foundation of the brick tower, and former living quarters and outbuildings, in addition to the lightouse tower. The site also includes gardens and traces of garden, landing and boathouse. On the island there area traces of some farming.
The light station is located in connection with protected buildings along the seaward approach to Arendal. Store Torungen lighthouse is a fine example of a rich and complex light station. The tower is typical for the tall cast iron towers. The lighthouse is close to original, with older lenses and fog-signaling building with functioning pressure tanks. The light station is historically interesting due to its connection with Lille Torungen light station and important to the environment due to the buidlings along the approach to Arendal: "The town with the two towers" Both towers are protected.
You are welcome to moor in the harbour during the day - please respect the reserved spaces.
Please contact Aust-Agder tourist association for accommodation in Store Torungen lighthouse.
Nature reserve and protected area
Parts of the island is a nature reserve and it's not allowed to be there when the birds nest between 15 April and 15 July. The area has signs. Please take care of nature, and let the flowers stay so that everyone can enjoy them. Great fishing.