Lomen Stave Church is believed to date back to around 1192. The oldest coin found is from King Sverre`s era 1177-1202.
In 1750, the church was converted and extended as it had become too small to meet the needs of an increasing population.
When the new Lomen Church was completed in 1914, regular use of the stave church ended. Today, it is only used for weddings and church services during the summer season.
Wooden sections dating back to the Middle Ages have been stripped down to the woodwork, but post-reformatory parts are still painted. The church, belfry and graveyard are protected.
Several medieval portals featuring wood carvings and animal decorations can be found in the church. Of the soapstone font from the Middle Ages, only the base remains.
A mediaeval chest leans towards the wall in the choir. It features a magic runic inscription that has almost been rubbed off.
The Madonna-head on the altar is a plaster copy of the beautiful original from the 1200s. It was probably once part of a whole figure. Mary has wawy hair and a crown with four points. The original can be found at Valdres Folk Museum in Fagernes.
Opening hours 2013: 01.07.-11.08. 11am-5pm
Adults NOK 40,-
Children under 15 yrs free of charge
Groups (min. 10 paying persons) NOK 30,- per pers.