Find providers and contact information
Museums & Galleries in Andøy
Showing 1-4 of 4 results
The Little Christmas House creates a great atmosphere and is popular among customers. The original North Norwegian Christmas house can be found in Andenes. The owner Grethe Kvalvik ensures that the Christmas spirit is present – all year round!
Please stop by and see the exquisite decorations and gifts the shop has to offer! Enjoy the magic of the season – all year round.
Hope to see you soon!
The Polar Museum is situated in Fyrvika cove, not far from Andenes Lighthouse and Whale Safari Andenes. An exhibition from the polar regions is on show here, with emphasis on the life of hunter Hilmar Nøis, who spent 38 winters in Spitsbergen.
The Whale Centre was established in 1988 and is situated in an old fish processing warehouse at the harbour front. The Whale Centre offers a unique combination of tourism, education and research. Tourists visiting the Whale Centre or going at a Whale Safari trip are invited also to see the museum on whales, their biology, research and whaling housed at the Whale Centre. A multi media show on whales and their environment is shown several times a day.
Research projects on living whales have been an important part of the Whale Centre since the establishment in 1988 and the centre offers researchers from different universities an opportunity to stay at the centre and use the facilities connected to the centre. Biology students from all over Europe serve as naturalists on board the Whale Safari boats and this way get both training in education and research.
The Omd turf museum
Parts of the cottage were built in about 1826 and it was extended in 1895. There is an old hearth pit inside, probably used for preparing food. Beside the cottage is a peat shed that was perhaps used earlier as a shelter for animals. Renovated in 2008 and use today as: turf museum shows history of turfing and with pictures and working tools, what the fishermen family used in the 1800s.
The Heggelund Cottage- museum
The cottage was moved to the Veita complex probably towards the end of the 1800s. It was very likely used as a boathouse/rorbu and is probably the only authentic rorbu dating back to that era. The house has a log core of hewn timber and porticos on each side, with a simple timber framework. It will serve as a museum / display. with funitures and pictures show the way of living in 1800s.