Sea fishing: Either angling from land or from a boat. There are many good fishing spots along the coast.
Freshwater fishing: You never have to travel far to a freshwater river or lake.
Salmon fishing: Ågårdselva in Sarpsborg.
The island coastline of Fredrikstad and Hvaler is an eldorado for divers.
If you would like to explore the underwater world, or maybe take a thrilling sea rafting trip, contact Erik on phone +47 901 98 181.
Onsøy Golf Club
An 18-hole course of international standard through woods and parkland. The course lies 15 kilometres from Fredrikstad town centre, and popular beauty spots such as Hankø, Engelsviken and Saltnes are only a few minutes away by car. Club house with restaurant. Golf tuition.
Huseby and Hankø Golf Club
A 9-hole course consisting of 3 par 3 holes, 5 par 4 holes and 1 par 5. Training area for your short game, with target greens, putting green and a 20-bay driving range. Phone: +47 69 33 61 10.
Hvaler Golf Course
The island paradise is known for having most sun of any place in Norway. The golf course has summer greens all year round.
Active Center in Fredrikstad offers drop-in go-cart for NOK 155 per heat (9 minutes, approximately 10 - 15 laps). Give yourself a real adrenaline kick. Wipe off the sweat, steady your pulse and get out there again to try for your personal best.
Activ Center offers indoor climbing challenges. Fredrikstad Climbing Club are the local experts. There are no towering mountains in Østfold, but plenty of smaller challenges. Get in touch with the club for more information.
Bird watching at Øra Nature Reserve
The Øra Bay has been a protected nature reserve since 1979. Since 1985 it has been a recognized Ramsar Wetland. The Ramsar Convention on Wetlands is an intergovernmental treaty, a framework for national action and international cooperation for the conservation and wise use of wetlands. The Øra Bay (15,5 square kilometres) is formed by the delta of the Glomma River. The inner shallows are dominated by reeds, while the outer bay has a marine character with many islands and skerries. 247 species and 7 subspecies have been registered in the reserve.
Fredrikstad has several riding stables:
- Fredrikstad Riding Centre, near the Old Town. Address: Bekkevold 1, 1630 Gamle Fredrikstad.
- Fredriksborg Horse Sport Centre. The centre is ideally situated on the main Sarpsborg road (111), about halfway between Sarpsborg and Fredrikstad, with a regular bus service. Riding instruction can be booked four days a week, drop-in tuition on Saturdays. Horse jumping.
- Hogde Shetland Stud, Eva Uteng Waters. Phone: +47 905 17 426. Address: Hogde 2, 1615 Fredrikstad.
- Hjørgunn Farm, Lisleby. The farm offers therapeutic horse riding for the physically and mentally handicapped three days a week. There are evening courses open to everyone. The farm has ponies, donkeys, hens, chickens and sheep.
Fond of animals?
Lund's Garden Centre and animal park, Torsnes. Here you can relax in beautiful surroundings and visit the many animals. Bring a picnic or buy refreshments from the kiosk. You can also borrow the barbecue.
Fredrikstad has a fantastic coastline with many beaches. Here are some of them:
- Vispen (Kjølshunn), park area, a 170-metre long sandy beach, toilets, diving raft, tables and benches, play apparatus.
- Bevø, park area, woodland, a 20-metre long sandy beach, toilets, diving raft, tables and benches, play apparatus. Privately owned camp site. 16 cabins.
- Humlekjær, a 15-metre long sandy beach, toilets, diving raft, diving board, tables and benches, barbecue area.
- Tangen, a 35-metre long sandy beach, toilets, diving raft, tables and benches.
- Enhuskilen, park area, a 30-metre long sandy beach, toilets, boat moorings, diving raft, tables and benches, barbecue, play apparatus. Privately owned camp site.
- Foten, park area, a 85-metre long sandy beach, toilets, boat moorings, diving raft, diving tower, tables and benches. Privately owned kiosk.
- Dypeklo, park area, a 50-metre long sandy beach, toilets, boat moorings, diving raft, diving board, tables and benches, play apparatus.
- Mærrapanna, park area, a 100-metre long sandy beach, toilets, boat moorings, tables and benches, barbecue, play apparatus.
- Solviken/Sandbukta, a 150-metre long sandy beach.
- Kongsten Pools, address: Torsnesveien 12. Outdoor bathing, a 50-metre long pool, kiddies pool, diving pool, water flume. Open from 1 June - 20 August.
- Kongstenhallen, Torsnesveien 12.
- Hankø Fjordhotel and Spa, 1621 Gressvik. Phone: + 47 69 38 28 50.
Discover stones with stories
Is it possible to travel back in time 3,000 years? The Bronze Age is mysterious, dramatic and astonishing. The more today's experts uncover, the more fascinating this period of history seems to be.
The countryside around Fredrikstad, Sarpsborg and Hvaler is peppered with
mystic stone circles, majestic burial mounds and images chiselled in stone - a cultural heritage which talks directly to you.
These stones tell stories of love, religion and ritual, of astronomy and
agriculture, of prosperity and poverty, power struggle and daily toil, and not
least of all – dreams and hopes.
Come and read them yourself. Follow the map with suggested routes and
signposted walks. History is waiting for you. Buy the new guide book "Ships of the Sun – a round trip in Østfold's Bronze Age" at the tourist information in Fredrikstad or museums.
For geographical details, please check out the map of Fredrikstad