Sarpsborg is surrounded by water. Go fishing in the Glomma watercourse - upstream from the waterfalls Sarpsfossen and Sølvstufoss, the Glomma River, the lakes Vestvannet and Mingevannet and the creek and fjord tributaries of Glomma.
Sarpsborg has the longest coastline in the county of Østfold which gives sea anglers opportunities for sea fishing. Fishing can be done either from a boat or from shore.
Walking and cycling
The Glomma Trail
A walking and bicycle path between Sarpsborg and Fredrikstad makes it possible to experience both sides of the Glomma River. The trail stretches for more than 32 kilometres and offers a variety of sights along the way. You pass by the childhood home of the Norwegian polar explorer Roald Amundsen, the cosy Old Town in Fredrikstad and old sawmills.
Oltidsruta (the Antiquity Route)
Explore this route with a car or bicycle. The Antiquity Route features areas of rock carvings at Hornes, Solberg and Bjørnstad. At Gunnarstorp you can see large standing stones from bronze age. The area around Opstad is one of the largest burial grounds in the country with more than 150 burial places and standing stones placed in circles.
There are many bathing spots in the Sarpsborg area, choose between taking a dip in saltwater or in freshwater.
Popular bathing spots:
- Dusa – public beach and car park, skerries with plenty of spots for swimming and sunbathing.
- Høysand – bathing cove and beach with fine-grained sand. Family campsite.
- Feriehjemmet – large area with lawns and a small sandy beach. Cabins for hire and a large cafeteria.
- Lake Tunevannet - a 20-minute walk from the town centre lies this beach with diving platform, lawns and benches.
- Lake Børtevannet - rocky bathing spot with a small beach. Canoe rental.
Superland is a part of Quality Hotel and Resort Sarpsborg. It features a large waterslide, an upstream swimming channel, a 25-metre swimming pool, a children's pool, a therapy pool and different types of saunas and a relaxation space. In addition you will find a climbing wall, a small skating rink, minigolf and lots of more.
The climbing centre has a 10.5-metre high climbing wall with a climbing capacity of 50. You can hire equipment if you do not have your own.
Sporty Activity Centre
Sporty Activity Centre located in Høysand features three minigolf courses each with 18 holes, all of the courses are approved for competition.
Eventyrfabrikken (indoor play area for children)
The play area Eventyrfabrikken stretches over 2,000 square metres and is the largest centre of its kind in Norway. For children between the age of 1- 13 years.
Sarpsborg has three outdoor golf courses:
- Borregaard Golf Club, a nine-hole course
- Skjeberg Golf Course, an 18-hole course
- Øya Golf Park, a pay and play course where you can play without a green card
Østfold Golf Senter, a 3,500-square metre indoor hall for golf activities is situated within walking distance from the central part of the town centre.