Moldemarka, the area north of Molde, is a popular hiking area with groomed ski trails. Other good cross-country areas include Surnadal, Rindal, Fursetfjellet, Eide, Vistdalsheia, Vistdal, Rødfjellet-Gammelsetra, Hjelset, Isfjorden, Skorgedalen, Skaret, Ørskogfjellet, Tomrefjellet, Hauglia and Nord-Heggdal.
If you prefer cross-country skiing outside the trails, the Trollheimen mountain area has a varied landscape which is easily accessible for skiers.
Skiing maps marked with route suggestions can be purchased at the tourist information offices.
Alpine ski touring
For the adventurous, ski expeditions are organised on request. Contact one of the local tourist information offices for further information.
The Nordmøre and Romsdal region has some of Norway's finest mountains for off-piste skiing. Several guide companies offers qualified tour guides and packages from half-day trips to longer expeditions. You can for example go on a tour that combines sea kayaking and off-piste skiing. Contact the Nordmøre and Romsdal destination officesfor more information about ski touring.
To go skiing from fjord to mountain is an experience out of the ordinary, and there are plenty of trips to choose from. Some favourites include the Skjorta, Smørbotntind and Ystetind mountain peaks.
Mountains under 3,000 feet:
- Melen: 2,519 feet above sea level (Fræna)
- Vardfjellet: 2,939 feet above sea level (Nesset)
Mountains over 3,000 feet:
- Urdfjellet: 3,211 feet above sea level (Fræna)
- Snøtind: 3,369 feet above sea level (Eide)
- Henrikbotnegga: 3,979 feet above sea level (Sunndal)
- Dronningens Krone: 5,958 feet above sea level (Sunndal)
- Tydalsnebba: 4,179 feet above sea level (Surnadal)
- Harstadfjellet: 3,293 feet above sea level (Gjemnes)
- Kyrkjetaket: 4,760 feet above sea level (Rauma)
- Fløtatind: 5,613 feet above sea level (Nesset)
- Kirketaket: 4,721 feet above sea level (Rauma)
- Sjøvdøla: 5,639 feet above sea level (Nesset)
- Skåla: 3,700 feet above sea level (Molde)
- Trolltind: 4,419 feet above sea level (Sunndal)
Conditions for ice climbing can be very good in the inner part of Romsdal. The area around Flatmark in Romsdalen is popular during periods of cold and stable weather in winter. Skogagrova is a small and easy waterfall, while Døntefossen waterfall on the other side of the valley is far more demanding and really puts an ice climber's strength and experience to the test.
The Eresfjord and Boggestranda areas (site in Norwegian only) also have plenty of great ice lines. Mardalsfossen waterfall and Ytste Mardøla in Eikesdal are two other challenges for the ice axe and crampons.
Whatever you decide on, it pays to get in touch with local climbers for information about ice conditions.
Glaciers in the area
- Finnanbreen (Trollstigen)
- Vengetindsbreen (Åndalsnes)
- Kalskråtind-breen (Åndalsnes)
- Hoembreen (Eresfjord)
- Storbreen (Isfjorden)
- Midthøbreen (Mardalsbotn)
Book your stay and transportation now
Best prices guaranteed by BookNorway.
- Cottages and cabins
Search among more than 2,500 cottages and cabins.
Search for hotels at 600 Norwegian destinations.
Search all flight options to and within Norway.
Search the widest selection of ferry lines and routes.
- Car rental
Search for car rental and compare prices at more than 100 destinations.