The forts are part of the border fortifications, which were supposed to act as a buffer if the Swedes attacked the country.
Ørje forts or Ørje fortifications is a common term for two forts, Likollen fort and Ørjekollen fort
The forts were built in 1902-03 to cover the national road, today the E18, over Ørje which was the most important route of entry from Sweden. They are part of the border fortifications, which were supposed to act as a buffer if the Swedes attacked the country. The forts were in their time set up with 1,300 men and were considered modern and protected by barbed wire fences and trenches. From the Swedish side, the forts were termed as unstormable, they would be very difficult to take by infantry attack. The Ørje forts were built on the heights just west of the locks and the Haldenkanalen. The northern fort or Ørjekollen fort is located southwest of Ørje bridge and locks.
The northern fort and Fort roundtrip is a favorite trip. A path that starts at E18, just above the canal bridge, leads up to Northern fort. From there, there is a magnificent view of the Halden canal and Ørje. This is also one of the gateways to Fjella, a nice outdoor area with a network of trails in both summer and winter.
Southern fort, or Lihammeren fort, is 1 km further south. The fort was built in 1902 and was able to gard the national road from the border towards Ørje. To the east stood 6.5mm Hotchkiss machine guns. Furthermore, two 10.5 cm and two 7.5 cm cannons with associated ammunition niches. Between the cannon position was a battery corridor with covered rooms and gun emplacements. The entire area was surrounded by heavy barbed wire barriers.
The facility is still in the ownership of the Norwegian Armed Forces and is protected.
There was no war. According to the agreement that was concluded with the Swedes in Karlstad in 1905, i.a. the forts are demolished.
Last updated: 02/22/2023
Source: Visit Indre Østfold