There was not an exact match for the language you toggled to. You have been redirected to the nearest matching page within this section.
Welcome to Asker museum Where history is fun! The museum has a large and interesting collection of houses, artifacts and a historical garden including sculptures by Anne Grimdalen. Fusdal Barnhouse an exhibition room with changing exhibitions, Café Gunhild and a museum shop. The heart of the museum is the artist homes of Tilla and Otto Valstad and Hulda and Arne Garborg. Collections, exhibitions, animals and plants in beautiful surroundings, makes a visit here an unforgettable experience. Not to mention, we have "historically" tasty waffles!
Welcome to Asker museum
Where history is fun!
The museum has a large and interesting collection of houses, artifacts and a historical garden including sculptures by Anne Grimdalen. Fusdal Barnhouse an exhibition room with changing exhibitions, Café Gunhild and a museum shop. The heart of the museum is the artist homes of Tilla and Otto Valstad and Hulda and Arne Garborg. Collections, exhibitions, animals and plants in beautiful surroundings, makes a visit here an unforgettable experience.
Not to mention, we have “historically” tasty waffles!
Tilla and Otto Valstad were avid collectors and gifted artists. They bought and relocated many of the buildings found on the museum grounds. Their goal was to preserve as much as possible of Asker and Norway’s material history. Besides being a painter, Otto was also a carpenter, teacher and author. His works are displayed here at Asker Museum, as well as in the Norwegian National Gallery in Oslo. Tilla, his wife, was a teacher, author and textile artist. Her products are on display at Asker Museum.
Hulda and Arne Garborg was another extraordinarily creative couple that also lived in the Artist Valley. They were close friends of the Valstads. The Garborg House, Labråten, is open to the public as is the Valstad House. Arne and Hulda were key activists in a movement that sought to renew Norwegian culture and traditions and was part of the so-called Asker circle.
Arne was an author and a leader in the struggle to protect and develop the New Norwegian written language, which is founded on rural Norwegian dialects.
Hulda, also an author, worked with her husband to promote Norwegian cultural traditions. She is famous for her work with bunads, the Norwegian national costume, as well as bringing back the Norwegian folk dance. She also established Det norske Teatret, The Norwegian Theatre, today located in Oslo. All plays are still performed in New Norwegian and dialects.
The historical garden that surrounds the Valstad House, including the socalled “Book garden” and the children playground, is always available to the public. The gift shop and Café Gunhild are located on the ground floor of the Fusdal Barnhouse.
In addition to the Valstad collections, Asker Museum also contains Labråten – Hulda and Arne Garborg’s home, Albert Seheim’s workshop at Sem, the School Museum on Jansløkka, Strandsitterhuset on Konglungen and the Coastal Culture Centre in Vollen.
Asker Museum, the Valstad collections, lies in the Hvalstad valley, “Artists’ Valley” in Asker.
The heart of the museum is the home of Tilla and Otto Valstad. The museum has a lush garden with a Baroque flair. Along with its animal sculptures made by Anne Grimdalen, it features a rich in-house collection of objects. Fixed and changing exhibitions. Kafé Gunhild has the same opening hours as the museum.
Labråten – the poet’s home
Labråten was the home of poet Arne Garborg. With his wife Hulda Garborg, he settled there in 1897, and it hasn’t changed much since then. Labråten was home for the artistic couple from 1898 to 1934. It was also called “Målkroken” (literally, “the language corner”), because proponents of New Norwegian (an alternative standard of written Norwegian) often gathered there. Here the first seeds of The Norwegian Theatre sprouted. Labråten was a meeting place for friends and allies, a congregation for thoughts and creativity, where impulses from Europe and the rest of the world were communicated and passed on.
Sem Sag and Albert Seheim’s Workshop
The sawmill industry arrived in Asker around 1600, and Sem Sag became operational in 1612. There was a struggle over the wood since farmers also had a duty to get hold of coal for the Bærum ironworks, and a lot of lumber was used for salt cooking and calcination. Sem Sag is periodically run as a community sawmill and had restrictions on how much they wood they could cut. Albert Seheim’s Workshop lies on the other side of the river across from Sem Sag, and is a complete skiers’ and wheelwrights’ workshop.