The island Borgarøya in the archipelago outside Ulsteinvik was a bustling trading community from the 17th century. At its peak, 17 houses were running business on the island.
The main building on the island is from the 18th century, and 17 houses were involved in the trade when the business activities were at their highest. The trade was bustling from around 1600, but in the 1880s, when new roads came in the area, Ulsteinvik attracted most of the trade instead.
After 1920 the place was used for living quarters, and since 1983 Ulstein municipality have been renovating and restoring the main house. The house can be rented for both private and official gatherings.