This church is known as the â€œØstfold Cathedral". It was erected in the second half of the 13th century. It burned down in the 1400s and has since been rebuilt.
This church is known as the "Østfold Cathedral". It was erected in the second half of the 13th century. It burned down in the 1400s and has since been rebuilt.
It was added to and restored in 1880-81, and the interior restored in the 1950s. Some of the walls date from the old medieval church. Medieval front door with steatite carvings and decorations.
Altar from approx. 1600. Medieval steatite baptismal font. Wood carved pulpit from 1662. Sculptures of Adam and Eve dating from the 1600s in carved and painted oak. King Haakon Haakonsson's nobleman Arnbjørn Jonsson of Valdisholm (island in Glomma nearby) met Earl Skule in the church in 1236. They both had a body of men with them œfor all eventualities", but parted on peaceful terms after reaching agreement.
A legend: A huge man worked on the building of the church. He was so long that he walked across the river to the Skiptvet-side to fetch timber. He was so strong he could carry 12 logs on his back. And he used one log as a walking stick. How tall he was? The head in the church wall shows his length! You may find the head approx. 8 m up the south wall of the tower, close to the west corner.
By Rv 124, approx. 7km south of Mysen centre, direction Rakkestad.