Established in 1853-54, it has one of Europe’s most powerful lights. The lighthouse was built to ensure safety of the shipping traffic along the coast. It was the first cast-iron tower to be built in Norway. Therefore, it was unsure whether it was heavy enough to resist the strong wind that occurs in this area, so 70 000 stones were used to line the tower from the inside. The lighthouse is 32,9 m tall and there are 134 steps to the top of the tower.
To get to the lighthouse, follow Fv 502 from Egersund, turn right after Eigerøy Bridge, signposted from Segleim. From the parking lot, follow a 2 km footpath up to the lighthouse. There are 7 geo stops along the trail where you can learn more about anorthosite. The old lighthouse keeper’s house is restored and is an open cafe on Sundays, during the summer season.
Eigerøy bird-watching station was established by the lighthouse in 1991. It was initiated by Norwegian Association for Ornitology, that uses the hobby house by the lighthouse for this purpose. The station registers bird activity in Midbrødøya all year round.
Dogs are not allowed in the period 15 March - 15 October.