Fredriksten is Norway`s largest, most important and most venerable border fortress.
Many also find it one of the most magnificent in Europe, majestically located above Halden. It offers a fantastic view of the town and the fjord, and far into what once was enemy territory.
Fredriksten fortress is a fantastic arena for wide variety of events, from intimate theatrical performances to large car shows, concerts and sports events. A number of large outdoor areas and smaller freestanding forts are available for use.
Managed and maintained by the national association for the preservation of fortresses.
Construction of Fredriksten started in 1661 after Norway lost the Bohuslän district and Bohus Fortress to Sweden in 1658. Three subsequent attacks by the Swedes on Halden in 1658-1660 convinced Fredrik 3. the King of Denmark and Norway; a strong, modern fortress was needed. During the war in 1718, Swedish King Karl 12. fell before the walls of Fredriksten fortress.
* Approx. 150 acres of surrounding terrain
* 20 000 square metres of fortress walls
* 40 buldings and arches
* 3 freestanding forts: Gyldenløve, Overberget and Stortårnet
* Location for public flagging
* Museums: Adults NOK 75,- Children NOK 30,-. Experience the history of the fortress, and the history behind the local saying "in 1716 he left, in 1718 he fell"
* Audioguide: Walk around Fredriksten fortress and listen to information from an Audio Guide. NOK 50,-
* Fortress trails: Three historic paths around the fortress terrain. Buy the maps at Fredriksten Infosenter - NOK 20,- pr map
* Nature Trail: Educational trail for the whole family - from the king Charles XII pillar and around Gyldenløve fort
* Ghost tour: Come along on a ghost walk among ghosts and slaves. Ghost map at Fredriksten Infosenter - NOK 50,-
* Multimedia display: Shows the history of the fortress in several movies. All for free.
* Historical lightshow: Fredriksten fortress - from the most important fortifictaion in Norway to a massive culturual and historical landmark. More than 350 years of history put together in a audio/video display on the walls inside the Inner fortress (Østre kurtine and Øvre magasin). Click here to see when the show starts!
* Guiding: Each Sunday at 14.00, in July and August, you can join one of our knowledgeable guides on a walk around the fortress. Get to know the history back to the first constructions in 1661, and decide for yourself who shot the Swedish King Karl 12 in 1718.
|Groups Grupper over 25 pers: Kr 80,- pr pers||100.00 Per person|
|Groups||2,500.00 Guided tour|
|School classes Gjelder alle skoleklasser i Halden og Aremark||1,250.00 Guided tour|
|* Price from|