Construction of Fredriksten started in 1661 after Norway lost the Bohuslän district and Bohus Fortress to Sweden in 1658. Three subsequent attacks by the Swedes on Halden in 1658-1660 convinced Fredrik 3. the King of Denmark and Norway; a strong, modern fortress was needed. During the war in 1718, Swedish King Karl 12. fell before the walls of Fredriksten fortress.
Fredriksten is Norway`s largest, most important and most venerable border fortress.
Many also find it one of the most magnificent in Europe, majestically located above Halden. It offers a fantastic view of the town and the fjord, and far into what once was enemy territory.
Fredriksten fortress is a fantastic arena for wide variety of events, from intimate theatrical performances to large car shows, concerts and sports events. A number of large outdoor areas and smaller freestanding forts are available for use. Managed and maintained by the national association for the preservation of fortresses.
* Approx. 150 acres of surrounding terrain * 20 000 square metres of fortress walls * 40 buldings and arches * 3 freestanding forts: Gyldenløve, Overberget and Stortårnet * Location for public flagging * Salutes
* Museums: Adults NOK 60,- Children NOK 20,-. Experience the war history of the fortress, the exhibition "The town is burning!" and Norways oldest bakery and brewery.
* Audioguide: Walk around Fredriksten fortress and listen to information from an Audio Guide. NOK 50,-
* Fortress trails: Three historic paths around the fortress terrain. Buy the maps at Fredriksten Infosenter - NOK 20,- pr map
* Nature Trail: Educational trail for the whole family - from the king Charles XII pillar and around Gyldenløve fort
*Ghost tour: Come along on a ghost walk among ghosts and slaves. Ghost map at Fredriksten Infosenter - NOK 50,-
* Multimedia display: Shows the history of the fortress in several movies. All for free.
* Historical lightshow: Fredriksten fortress - from the most important fortifictaion in Norway to a massive culturual and historical landmark. More than 350 years of history put together in a audio/video display on the walls inside the Inner fortress (Østre kurtine and Øvre magasin). Click here to see when the show starts!
* Guiding: Each Sunday at 14.00, in July and August, you can join one of our knowledgeable guides on a walk around the fortress. Get to know the history back to the first constructions in 1661, and decide for yourself who shot the Swedish King Karl 12 in 1718.
* For groups only: Guiding at the fortress - all year around. Can be combined with a guided tour of the museum. Contact Halden Turist. Tel. 69190980. firstname.lastname@example.org