The memorial was unveiled on May 28, 1946, the sixth day of the recapture of Narvik, by the French Ambassador in Norway, Blondel. The memorial is commemorating the French fallen during World War II in Norway.
The memorial was originally located on Ornes. On June 25, 1972, the boat became
Unveiled at the Veteran Square at Ev6, 2.8 km north of Narvik city center.