In Grindheim, as at Støle, we are able to observe the connection between the church, the cemetery and a pre-Christian burial ground. This was the largest burial site in Etne with more than 200 burial mounds. Today most of it is cultivated farmland and only some large mounds now remain in the fields. To the far south is a large site with minor mounds dating from the Bronze Age. The timbered medieval church was built in 1728. Its old interior is still intact and the church bells date from 1628 and 1751, respectively. By the north wall stands a 3.75m runic stone, which was found in the cemetery wall. It is a memorial stone from about 1050 with a carved cross and the runic inscription: "Tormod erected this stone in honour of Tormod Svidade, his father". The stone cross in front of the church dates from the period immediately after the Christianisation of Norway.
Open Sundays: 10.00-13.00. For guided tours, please contact Church office, tel. 53 77 11 70.