The current church at Grindheim dates from 1783, although there has been a church on the same site for much longer than that.
The church features incredibly beautiful rose-painted decorations, produced by Tore Asbjørnson Risøyne. The basic motif is the well-known acanthus vine, which was widely used in rose painting and wood carving.
The church was decorated in 1791, but in 1898 the decorations were painted over, because it was felt that the congregation spent too much time looking at them during services.
In 1941 the decorations were uncovered as part of a major restoration project, and the inside of the church now provides a wonderful example of Norwegian rose painting.
Please contact the tourist office for further information.