Join on a guided hike to the cabin Kiellandbu - a family friendly hike through spectacular fjord nature!
Reservations, questions or inquiries
Please call Øystein on +47 93484041 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kiellandbu trip details:
- Estimated total distance: 12 km.
- Estimated total duration: 6 hours car to car, including breaks.
- Total ascent: 350 meters.
- Trip grading: Easy to moderate.
- Family friendly: Yes, suitable for kids aged 9 and above.
We start the hike at near Hodnaberg Powerplant, close to the lake called Hamlagrøvatnet. This means we are in the mountains right from the start. At first we follow a gravel road southwards, gaining altitude. Then we exit onto a marked path that forks near Kvålsdalstjørni. We cross a sway bridge with a crystal clear river underneath, then follow the path south through Hardingaskardet. Traversing steeply up the hill towards Sveindalseggi, we can enjoy the increasingly wild scenery around us. We arrive at Kiellandbu after about 2,5 hours. Here we enjoy our lunch and marvel at the amazing view.
On the return trip we either follow the same path back to Hodnaberg, or traverse Sveindalsnuten (1065) to enjoy the views. Maybe you might fancy a swim in a cool, clear mountain lake?
Reasons to go:
This place is a true gem. Easily accessible, no crowds, varied and authentic mountain scenery and an immensely beautiful view from Kiellandbu. Lovely rivers and mountain farms, with colourful mountain flowers accompanying us along the way.
We have guides speaking English, French, German, Spanish and Italian. Please let us know if you have language preferences, and we’ll try to accommodate you.
Season and availability:
Daily departures from June 1 to November 1.
During the busiest weeks of summer, we might not have available guides every day. Please don’t hesitate to send us an email if it looks like the trip is unavailable online. We’ll try to find a solution for you.
Meeting point and practical details:
This trip is easy to combine with a stay in Bergen. If you arrive by train from Bergen on the day of departure, we’ll meet at Voss station at 10 a.m. If you’re already stationed in Voss, we’ll meet outside our office at Tre Brør Café near the town square at 9.30 a.m.
We’ll be back at Voss around 5 p.m.
This is considered a non-technical and family-friendly hike. This trip is suitable for healthy people with some basic hiking experience.
The route follows a fairly good path marked with red T’s. Early in the season there might still be some patches of snow left in the upper sections, and you should expect a few muddy sections.
- Sturdy hiking shoes or hiking boots.
- Waterproof clothing (shell layer).
- Small rucksack (20 litres).
- An extra t-shirt and an extra sweater.
- Beanie or knit cap.
- Sunglasses and sun lotion
- Some snacks or packed lunch and a water bottle.
- Trekking poles are recommended.
- You might also bring swimwear and a towel, if you’d like a swim on the return.
Included in the price:
- An experienced, multilingual guide during your trip.
- A light meal of locally crafted food, including hot drinks – prepared on a stove.
- All necessary safety equipment.
- Access to extra clothing and trekking poles free of charge.
- Transportation to the starting point and back to Voss, if needed.
- Not included in the price:
- Transportation to Voss.
A note on responsible travel and sustainability:
Wild Voss make a continuous effort in reducing the ecological impact of our trips and activities. We aim to follow the latest GSTC criteria for sustainable travel. As a participant on one of our trips, you should know the following:
- We follow the Leave No Trace principles.
- We make use of zero-emission infrastructure whenever possible.
- Our trips are on foot, skis or snowshoes, causing no emissions and limiting the impact on nature and eco systems.
- Our guide will share knowledge about local culture, sites we visit and local customs.
- We support responsible local businesses.
- Your guide will advocate low-impact travel and raise the participants’ awareness of local wildlife.
- We abide by laws and regulations concerning travel in free nature and cultural landscape.
- We seek to minimize waste, and choose products and packaging with long life spans.