Nærøyfjorden is one of the most spectacular fjords of western Norway. The unique natural scenery and cultural landscape has granted this region a well earned spot on the UNESCO list of World Heritage sites.
After a one-hour drive from Voss, we arrive at the picturesque village called Bakka by the Nærøyfjord. The road ends here, so we park near the start of the path called Rimstigen. We follow the winding Rimstigen steeply through the lush forest, under the looming presence of Bakkanosi (1398). We pass close by the impressive waterfalls of Tufteelvi. Continuing steeply uphill, we can only marvel at how earlier generations of farmers were able to lead their livestock up these hills to the summer pastures in the mountains above.
As we gain altitude, the view gets more and more impressive. At an elevation of 700 metres, the path reaches easier terrain as we approach the hanging valley of Rimstigbotnen. This is a great spot for a break. From here, we can look down upon the tiny boats and kayaks on the still surface of Nærøyfjorden far below.
The path continues past the tree line towards the steep hill known as Skarsbakkane. At around 1100 meters, we pass the crystal clear lake of Skarsvotni, jumping between rocks to cross the river running out of the lake. We head up towards the open mountain plateau near Rimstigfjellet, passing the high-point of the trip at 1250 meters above sea level. It is fairly common to encounter groups of wild reindeer in this area. Finally, we approach the last, impressive rise towards the spectacular top of Breiskrednosi. Luckily, the final 80 vertical metres are easier than they look from a distance.
From the top, we enjoy unforgettable moments of airy exposure. After absorbing the magnificent view from Breiskrednosi, we head back towards Bakka, retracing our own route.
Reasons to go
The mountains above Nærøyfjoden are wild, secluded and beautiful. The path up Rimstigen to Breiskrednosi is full of contrasts. From the lush greenery near the fjord to the barren mountain plateau partly covered under patches of snow. Fiercly steep, rocky sections followed by gentler slopes with grooves of mountain birches. Bubbling creeks, waterfalls and rivers all around us. And of course – you’ll visit some of the most superb viewpoints of the Norwegian fjords.
Season and availability
This trip can be booked daily between June 23 and October 15. Please click «Book this trip now» to secure a spot.
The full-length trip to Breiskrednosi is suitable for healthy, fit people who has previous mountain hiking experience. Participants should expect cool, changeable weather patterns with possibilities for wind, rain or even snow. The hike covers a couple of very steep and somewhat exposed sections which could feel intimidating if you are sensitive to heights. The top of Breiskrednosi has an impressively steep south face, but you can easily keep your distance to the cliff’s edge if you want.
The hike up Rimstigen is steep and has a few challenging sections, as described above. It typically takes around 2,5 hours to gain the 700 vertical metres to the top of Rimstigen.
On this hike you will need the following equipment:
• Sturdy hiking shoes or hiking boots.
• Waterproof clothing (shell layer).
• Small rucksack (20 litres).
• An extra t-shirt and an extra sweater.
• Beanie or a cap.
• A buff/scarf and a pair of gloves.
• Sun glasses and sun lotion
• Some snacks and a water bottle.
• Trekking poles are highly recommended.
• You might also bring swimwear and a towel, if you’d like cool bath on the return.
Prices and terms
The price for this trip is NOK 1990,- per person (minimum price is NOK 3980,-). We offer a discount of 25 % to groups of at least 4 people booking together.
Group size: 2 - 8 participants.
Included in the price:
• A qualified guide during your entire trip.
• Pre-trip practical information and service.
• A light meal of locally crafted food, including drinks.
• All necessary safety equipment.
• Access to extra clothing and trekking poles free of charge.
• Transportation from Voss to the starting point and back to Voss.
Not included in the price:
Transportation to Voss ahead of the trip.
By booking this trip, you acknowledge that you have read and agreed upon our Terms of service and Risk and liability statement.
A note on responsible travel and sustainability
At Wild Voss, we put in a continuous effort to reduce the ecological and environmental impact of our trips and activities. We aim to follow the latest GSTC criteria for sustainable travel. As a participant on one of our trips, you should know the following:
• We follow the Leave No Trace principles.
• We make use of zero-emission infrastructure whenever possible.
• Our trips are on foot, skis or snowshoes, causing no emissions and limiting the impact on nature and eco systems.
• Our guide will share knowledge about local culture, sites we visit and local customs.
• We support responsible local businesses.
• Your guide will advocate low-impact travel and raise the participants’ awareness of local wildlife.
• We abide by laws and regulations concerning travel in free nature and cultural landscape.
• We seek to minimize waste, and choose products and packaging with long life spans.
Reservations, questions or inquiries
Please call Øystein on +47 93484041 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Breiskrednosi and Rimstigen trip details
Total distance: About 18 kilometres (Breiskrednosi car to car) or 7 km (Rimstigen car to car).
Estimated total duration: 9-10 hours (Breiskrednosi) or 4 hours (Rimstigen).
Elevation gain: 1450 meters (Breiskrednosi) or 750 metres (Rimstigen).
Trip grading: Expert – black (Breiskrednosi) or Challenging – red (Rimstigen).
Suitable for families: Breiskrednosi: No. Rimstigen: Yes – lower age limit 8 years old.