In this area there are several breathtaking beaches with possibility for both swimming and hiking. The annual kite festival is held at the Skarasanden with thousands of attendants, both kids and adults.
In this area there are several breathtaking beaches with possibility for both swimming and hiking. The annual kite festival is held at the Skarasanden with thousands of attendants, both kids and adults. On warm and nice summer days, the beach at Hellestø is the perfect spot for the sunseeking people visiting. In winter and autumn, people like to come here to witness the particular light in these parts of the country, as well as the powerful elements present when strong winds beat against the beach. Popular activities are swimming, beach walking and the annual kite festival. You can also experience the Hellestøfjell (mountain), a familiar beacon for the boating people. The Hellestøfjell is 92 meters above sea level. The beach is located south west from the Stavanger International Airport, Sola. From the beach, you can see the Feistein lighthouse into the open sea.
Important information on how to behave along the beaches at Jæren
- It is forbidden to drive motorised vehicles
- In the bird protection areas, you cannot exercise activities of disturbing effect; surfing, board sailing, kiting and dog walking.
- It is prohibited to surf/board sailing/kiting in the bird protected areas from 1 October to 31 March
- Horseback riding, bike riding, camping and tenting in the sand dunes are prohibited
- You must not walk on farmland during the growing season
- Respect people’s privacy. Do not set up a tent any nearer than 150 meters from a house or a cottage
- Permission from land owner if you camp for longer than 2 nights
- Do not light a fire in nature between 15 April to 15 September
- Respect the fact that other might use the area as their livelihood
- If you bring along a dog in nature, you are obligated to keep it on a leash where livestock are grazing. Remember the general laws on keeping dogs on a leash
- For hunting and fishing, special rules apply that you need to be aware of
- Flying with drones are forbidden throughout the entire landscape protection area
- Larger events are not allowed without a special dispensation
For the more experienced surfers, the conditions are more rewarding in autumn. Remember it is prohibited to surf/board sail/kite on beaches affected by bird protection (1 Oct – 31 March). Kiting is only possible on the following beaches: Sola, Hellestø, Byberg, Bore and Brusand.