The Knaben Gruvemuseum "mining museum" displays history of the mine and its involvement in the First and Second World Wars. Visit the old mine with a guide in the summer or after appointment.
The Knaben Gruvemuseum "Mining Museum" is housed in the old administration building at Knaben which is located in the far north of Kvinesdal. It displays Knaben mining and war history.
From 1900 until 1973, the mine took large amounts of molybdenum from the mountains. This was a mineral used as a strengthener for steel production - especially weapon making. During the German occupation in World War 2, molybdenum was very important to the armament industry.
The Germans built large fortifications around Knaben to defend it and in 1943, the mines were attacked twice by Allied bombers.
The second floor of the museum is furnished as it was when the director of his time lived here. During the summer months, guided tours can be organised at the museum.
The museum is open from June 24 until August 7. NOK 20,- Friday and Saturday at 11:00-15:00, Sunday 12:00-16:00.
The guided tours of the mine are Sundays at 13:00 in July and August. NOK 50,- Meet the guide by the parking lot at the separation plant.
There is a list of guides that can be contacted outside opening hours; www.knaben.no/knaben-gruver/ . They may be available when you visit. To make an appointment in advance, contact Jan Rob (see below).
Outside the season groups and school classes may contact principal Jan Rob (+4797140029) at Knaben Leirskole and make an appointment.