Korssund is an old trading-post at the western edge of the municipality of Fjaler, and got its name from a four metre high stone cross.
KORSSUND – FJALER
Korssund is an old trading-post at the western edge of the municipality of Fjaler, andgot its name from a four metre high stone cross that was put there by King Olav the Holy in around 1030 during the Christianising of Norway. The cross is an “Olav’s Cross” and is one of the biggest in the country. Korssund is a naturally favour-able harbour and is full of boats in the summer. Travelling through the narrow sounds is an idyllic boat trip. Nowadays there is a shop, kiosk, small boat harbour and camp site. There are marked footpaths, bicycle rental facilities, outdoor chess, bathing places, barbecue points and playgrounds. Korssund has always been and still is a place where the sea meets the land.