The Løvøy Chapel on the Løvøya island is the smallest of Horten's three medieval churches and supposed to date back to the 1200's. The location of the church is connected to the St. Olav's well, and it is believed that the water had healing power.
Pilgrims from all the Nordic countries came here. The Reformation in 1536 put an official stop to the catholic pilgrimages to Løvøya but people continued to come to the well and church for years on. The church was in ruins for many years until preservation and restoration was initiated in 1882 and it was reopened in 1950.