Lomskyrkja – the church in Lom - is one of the biggest and most beautiful stave churches in our country. The impressive church dates back to 1158-59, confirmed through dendrochronological research. It is still the main church in Lom. The oldest part was built in Romanesque style.
The Lom stave church was built extra large; in the Middle Ages it was the main church in the northern Gudbrandsdal district. Lom was also an important stopover for pilgrims at that time. In 1634 the church was extended to the west, and in 1663 the crossarms were added in framework construction. to the north and south. The tower was built at the same time. Most of the furnishing is from the 18th century. The famous wood carver Jakop Sæterdalen is the master behind the chancel arch and the pulpit. The Lom stave church has the largest collection of paintings found in any Norwegian church, most of them done by Eggert Munch.
By archeological excavations in 1973 interesting findings were made; more than 2.000 coins and a love message with carved runes on a stick.
Closed during church services.