Dynamic Variation:
Book
Choose Language
Search & Book Sponsored Links
Dynamic Variation:
Search
or search all of Norway
Ålesund & Sunnmøre Ålesund

M/S "Bilfergen"

  • Skateflua, Skateflua, Ålesund
  • +47 70163430
  •  /  km From You
Overview

M/S "Bilfergen" was built by Johan T. Nerhus in Ølve in Hardanger in 1921. The ship was originally contracted as a fisherykutter in 1919, but the hull was handed over to the new foundation A/S Aalesunds Færgeselskap to go between Vestnes-Åndalsnes.

The ship was completed as a car- and passengerferry. She had shipment from the side and three cars could be placed crosswise. The ferry was named "Bilfærgen". She was 33 brt, 64 feet long. The 2 strokes two cylinders engine - mrk "Bolinder" made her a speed of 9 knots.

The ferry was taken over by MRF - Møre og Romsdal Fylkesbåtar - in 1923. For two summerseasons M/S "Bilfergen" sailed between Geiranger and Hellesylt before she in 1925 returned to the Romsdalsfjord, in her original route Vestnes - Åndalsnes - Vestnes three days a week in July and August. In 1925 she opened the connection between Vestnes-Molde.

In 1934 the ferry was rebuilt for the cars to drive onboard both by bow and the stern. She got thoroughfare and the wheelhouse was placed midship on a boatdeck. The stern was out a little to make it easier to drive onboard and the deck became a little wider. The length was shortened to 56 feet, but now she could take five cars. In 1942 the wheelhouse was lengthened with a cabin.

The last bigger rebuilding was done in 1964. The wheelhouse was mooved to starboard and big cars now could pass through. The originale Bolinder from 1915 is still onboard - even a little modernized.

"Bilfergen" was in service for MRF until 1960, with a break during the second world war, when she was taken to Die Deutsche Kriegsmarine, Admiral Norwegen.

In 1960 she was sold to Sund council where she was until 1972. After three years in dock, with the possibility of condemnation, Søndeled Veteran- shipsklubb (a club for veteranships) took over "Bilfergen" in 1975. The club spent a lot of work and lots of money to restore the ferry to the apperance from 1934-1942.

MRF bought "Bilfergen" back to her homecounty in 1999, as required from Søndeled Veteranskipsklubb. The ferry is now drifted on voluntary basis by MRF - employers and pensioners.

The ship ha status as protected at the Cetnral Office of Historic Monuments in Norway from 2012.


  • Last Updated:
  • Source: Ålesund & Sunnmøre
TripAdvisor Reviews
Traveler Reviews in partnership with
Your Recently Viewed Pages
Ad
Ad
Ad