Norangsdalen is one of the narrowest valleys in Norway, rich in both spectaculare sceneries as well as cultural memories. The valley bears the scars of the battle against the forces of nature.
The valley bears the scars of the battle against the forces of nature. At lake Jelskred, the bottom of the valley is full of scree. At Urasætra and Stavbergsætra, the houses were built into the ground as protection against landslides. The lake known as Lygnstøylvatnet was formed by a rock fall from Keipen in 1908. Beneath the waters of the lake, you can still see remains of the old road, the foundations of the farmhouses and the gateway.
There is a breath of history over the name Norangsdalen. At the turn of the 18th century, tourist ships anchored up at Øye. Many a famous name was transported by pony and trap along the ancient road through the valley to Hellesylt. Afther the "Silver cruise" in 1993 to celebrate the Silver wedding of the King and Queen of Norway, Norangsdalen was given the name "The Queen Route".
The famous Hotel Union Øye is an attraction in itself. The hotel was "discovered" by Europe's aristocracy and social elite in 1881, and has since then welcomed many famous Kaisers and Kings.