The darkness and the snow arrive at about the same time in Svalbard - and the white cover makes the polar night seem less dark.
The darkness and the snow arrive at about the same time in Svalbard - and the white cover makes the polar night seem less dark. The features of the landscape are very visible on days with clear skies and moonlight, and the soundless way you move when dogsledding is simply an amazing experience. You don’t need to get far away from the dog kennel until you are truly in the Arctic wilderness. Throughout the summer and fall, the dogs have been pulling dogcarts along the road and they are extremely happy to get fresh snow under their paws again. Polar dogs are almost a bit strange in their joy over the freshly fallen snow – they eat it and roll around in it … Join us for the first sledge trips of the season and experience this newly-created winter wonderland. If we are in luck and its sky clear, we may even see the Northern Lights.
You will be picked up at your hotel and taken to Green Dog kennel (approx. 12 km outside Longyearbyen). Here you will be equipped with clothes and boots for the trip. You will meet the dogs and be taken through what you need to know before we start putting harnesses on the dogs. We go in small groups of maximum 8 dogs and we will use the guides' own dogs, he knows each and everyone of them very well.
In pairs you will take turns mushing (driving a dog sledge team) a team of 5-6 dogs. It is a perfect trip for those who would like to experience dogsledding but do not have too much time available.
The trip goes through beautiful Bolterdalen, which offers unique arctic surroundings, including a chance of observing ptarmigan and reindeer, even in the darkness.
This trip does not require any previous experience with dogsledding.
After the trip, you can meet our puppies and enjoy a cup of tea or coffee with a biscuit and a brandy in our heated Russian cabin.
- Please note that this is a dogsledding trip and therefore there won't be time for longer stops to take photos.
- Pick up 9:00, drop off app 13:00 or pick up 15:00, drop off app 19:00.
- Please note that the guide will start picking guests up from the hotels at 9:00/15:00 and therefore may be a few minutes late.
- Min no of guests: Min 1.
- Min age: please contact us if you bring a child below 6 yrs.
- Children needs to be accompanied by an adult.
- Pick up/drop off at hotel in Longyearbyen.
- Green Dog provides coverall suits, boots, gloves, hats, neck gaiters and goggles. You need to wear a warm inner layer and extra socks.
- Each guest gets a free Green Dog buff!
Cancellation fees for activities
If cancelled 22 days or more prior to departure 100 % refund
If cancelled 22-7 days prior to departure 50 % refund
Cancellations less than 7 days prior to departure is a ”no show” and do not qualify for any refund. You may apply to your insurance company for a refund if you provide a medical certificate.
|Adults||1,350.00 Per person|
|Children under 12 years||675.00 Per person|
|* Price from|