Sandsøya is not the most populous island in Sande municipality on Sunnmøre, but here Sande church has stood since the Middle Ages. The farm Sande (farm number. 66) belonged to a noble family in 1329, and the church is mentioned in 1432. The medieval church was a stave church that was extended to a cruciform church, according to a description from 1700. The church was demolished in 1835 and replaced with a half-timbered church (consecrated 6 . & nbps; November 1836) with narrower choir and sacristy in the east and porch in the west. This church was badly damaged in a storm in 1863 and 1874, and it was eventually decided to build a new church. The work began after Pentecost in 1880 under the leadership of Jon Sefland, and a new church was consecrated on November 30.
Sande Church is a half-timbered church with 400 seats (almost twice as many as there are inhabitants on the island). The church has just finished the choir with a sacristy in the extension, and west of the nave is a porch. In the transition between porch and ship is a roof rider. The church is in Swiss style and has a horizontal panel on the outside.