Skåtøy Church was built in 1862. It is located in beautiful surroundings in the middle of the narrowest part of Skåtøy. The church is currently on a shared 6th place among the country's largest wooden churches.
Skåtøy Church was built by local carpenters in 1862. Architects were Schirmer and von Hanno. It is located in beautiful surroundings in the middle of the narrowest part of Skåtøy.
Skåtøy Church, which is also known as the Cathedral of the island, is one of Norway's largest timbered churches. It has about 800 seats. The painting of Julie Gjessing on the altar portrays praying Jesus. The organ in the church is an old Hollenbach organ. Large chandeliers, the sideboard of Jens Lauersøns Legat, decorate the church. Beautiful glass paintings of Rolf Klemensrud decorate walls of both on the ground floor and on the galleries.
The church has its own "winter church" back of the organ gallery on the second floor.
The church witnessed the time when about 500 islands of Kragerø were densely populated and sources of income were agriculture, fisheries, mining, export of ice and shipping. The church was also in a long period (1877 - 1960) main church for the residents in Skåtøy municipality around town of Kragerø.
Church services, concerts and exhibitions are arranged in Skåtøy Church especially in summer time. These arrangements are very popular among the residents and tourists.
See also www.kragerokirkene.no