Stavanger Maritime Museum's exhibitions provide an insight into marine and general city history from the beginning of the 1800s and up to present time. Below are details.
THE HERRINGTOWN, THE SHIPPING TOWN, THE PORT AND INDUSTRY TOWN,THE OIL CITY
With the herring reappearing along the coast of Rogaland in 1808 after being gone for thirty years came the big turning point for Stavanger. The exhibition conveys how rich herring fisheries laid the foundation for Stavanger’s future through development and growth in the 1800s.
From the mid 1800s Stavanger was established as one of the biggest maritime towns in Norway. When the sailing era reached its peak in the 1870s, the town had more than 600 ships sailing all the oceans. Most of the ships sailed with raw
materials from America and Asia to the industrialized Western Europe. Stavanger’s fleet of sailing ships employed approximately 5000 men, most of whom were recruited in the town or its near vicinity. Since then ships and seamen
from Stavanger have always participated actively in international shipping.
The exhibition shows how the ships and the sailing routes have changed through the years. The local routes on the fjords and along the coast are presented side by side with the fleet’s world-wide activities. The regular delivery routes between Stavanger and foreign ports have formed a strong link between local and international ports. The America Line’s legendary
Stavangerfjord strengthened the contact between Rogaland and the "Norwegian America".
THE SHIPBUILDING TOWN
The museum's exhibitions relate local shipbuilding history from the time of the wooden sailing ships to the oil platforms, from manual carpentry via riveting and welding to laser technology in just a hundred years. The exhibition in the museum's second floor displays work tools and implements and tells about the techniques and development of new methods that have been, and are, important for shipbuilding.
INTERACTIVE EXHIBITION "WORKING AT THE DOCKS"
The museum has created a quayside marketplace for children where they can participate in the local traffic and life of late 1950s Stavanger. Here they can dress up, and create their own stories through role play on a fjord boat, at the post office, in the warehouse, in the shop and at the market stall.
FIRST FLOOR | THE GENERAL STORE The reconstructed shop is built using furnishings and subjects dating back to c. 1910. The general store contains a diverse range of products that were intended for both townspeople, farmers, fishermen and sailors. Decor and artifacts are collected from a variety of business in the city.
SECOND FLOOR | SHIPOWNER’S OFFICE Office interior is authentic and belonged to family company Monsen that were in operation for 165 years. When the business was discontinued in 1977, Stavanger Maritime Museum was given the unique interior. The rooms give a good insight into inter-war taste and speaks a clear language about the maritime activities that were once driven from these offices.
SECOND FLOOR | THE MERCHANT’S APARTMENT The apartment in Nedre Strandgate 17 is a reconstruction and comprises living room, dining room, home office and kitchen with pantry. The decor shows how a merchant- or shipowner apartment could be furnished approximately 1900-1910. Through the windows, one of them equipped with gossip mirror, there are views to the terrace gardens belonging to the properties Nedre Strandgate 17 & 19. Outside in the street is also the Groom well, accompanying Strandgate 17, named after a former trader and owner of the property.
THIRD FLOOR | THE SAIL LOFT At the very top of the seafront warehouse in Nedre Strandgate 19 a fully equipped sail loft has been recreated. The interior is mainly from the Berentsen’s sail loft, which was periodically in operation until 1984.
Stavanger Maritime museum also owns Anna af Sand and Wyvern, both being used in the summer time.