Sunnylven is a tall, airy and roomy church seating up to 270. Built in 1858 and consecrated by Bishop Kaurin on 7th August 1859.
Sunnylven is one of several churches built within a short period of time with the same architect, Captain Rolfsen from Nordfjordeid.
The church at Sunnylven is in wood, and the timber used was taken from the woods at Hellebostad, Åsen, Korsbrekke, Hellesylt and Langeland. It took only a few months to raise the large church. The church is richly decorated. The church bell came from Germany, and the church has a number of expensive decorations, including silver, pewter candlesticks, lighting globes, a carved font and candelabras. The most eye catching is the large alter piece with motives from “The Christ has Arisen”
The woodcarvings are by Ole Elias Kjellstad and coloured by Per Vigeland. Kjellstad has also carved the wooden hymn board and the twelve disciples. Stained glass decorates the windows in the chancel and above the main door.
We recommend a visit to this fine old church.