The shop dates from 1882 when Thor Hjelle (who later started Hjelle Hotel in 1896) started as a shopkeeper on the quay at Hjelle.
The shop was a general store until Hjelle tunnel was opened in 1996, creating a by-pass of the old village centre. One year later the shop was closed down.
In 2006 the shop reopened with a new and exciting concept. Summer 2007 also brings with it an even larger selection of local crafts and art.