At the start, Hallingdal had seven stave churches. Today, Torpo Stave Church is the oldest and only original stave church left in Hallingdal. It is also the oldest building in Hallingdal.
This stave church was erected around 1160, and consecrated to St Margaret. The legend about her martyrdom decorates the baldachin in well-known paintings from the latter half 13th century. The church was built in the Borgund style with a raised space in the middle between the nave and the chancel.
In 1880, the chancel was demolished. The rest of the church was also going to be demolished, but the Society for the Preservation of Norwegian Ancient Monuments purchased the nave to preserve it.
Guided groups tours can be arranged outside normal opening hours after agreement. Please contact Ål Tourist Information on +47 32 08 10 60 or email@example.com or tlf. +47 57 67 88 40 / firstname.lastname@example.org