The museum includes farmhouses, farm buildings and constructions from outlying fields – in total, 21 buildings demonstrating how people in Trysil lived in the 18th and 19th centuries. The oldest building is from about 1650. The contrast between eastern and western influence contributes to the distinctive character of the architectural tradition. The collection includes the three most common types of farmhouse: the three-room cottage, the two-storey cottage, and the Akershus-style cottage, which has a similar ground plan to the three-room cottage. Trysil is a typical forest and mountain village, and on the hillside behind the farm the museum displays a complete summer mountain farm site.
Trysil Bygdetun is situated above and east of the town centre, with beautiful views of Trysilfjellet mountain. The museum is open every day throughout the summer season. It is possible to book guided tours throughout the snow-free season. For opening hours and other visitor information, please see Trysil/Engerdal Museum’s website.