The museum was founded in1923 and it is situated along Parkveien, 900 metres from the town centre. The museum covers about 5 acres and it consists of pine trees which surround the old buildings. Towards the north you can see the river Glåma and the farms on the hills surrounding Tynset.
There are many interesting houses that are worth a visit. It is worth mentioning a house from 1760, a shed with a bullet hole from General Armfeldt's Campaign in 1708-1709 and a store house from Ramsmoen built in 1740, "Fedraheimstua" used by Arne Garborg, Ivar Mortensson Egnund and Rasmus Steinsvik between 1887-1890. There is a summer farm from the area, built in 1707 and a farm, both typical of the Tynset district. There is a house with information and an exhibition of items from the Second World War when Norway was occupied by Germany. Apart from being interesting building-wise, many people use the park for recreation.
The museum is open, contact Kåre Midtal for more information and guided tours.