For almost a full year, Mats Grimsæth has sailed up and down along the Norwegian coast to photograph magnificent scenery, meet people and learn about himself.
- I had never thought that Norway was this beautiful Mats Grimsæth (21) says after spending 328 days in a boat along the coast between Larvik and Tromsø.
He has taken some amazing pictures of ocean, mountains, sun rises, snow, fog, and everything else you’ll experience during almost a year on the Norwegian coast.
A couple of years ago, Mats bought an old 30 feet boat which he has refurbished all on his own. Without any knowledge on how one refurbishes a boat.
- I am the least handy guy i know, laughs Mats.
Eventually Mats could finally set sail, but the trip was dangerously close to being cancelled indefinitely. Two days before the planned start of the voyage, the boat’s motor broke down. Cost to fix: 80.000 kroner. Mats had shared his work with the boat social media, and thus had to share the disappointing news with the world.
But Mats wasn’t the only one who wanted to see him on the sea. A fundraiser was started to fix the motor, and within the first 24 hours, donators had scraped together almost 70.000 kroner.
- I have never been so moved in my entire life. It feels special when people you don’t know gives you 5000 kroner out of their own pockets, Mats says.
In August last year Mats lifted the anchor. The first leg was between Larvik and Bergen, and his only plan was to not have a plan. One thing was decided however, as long as there was available space, the boat would be open for passengers that wanted to join.
Out of a total of 50 passenger, Mats had never met 45 of them before they sat their feet on the deck.
- It takes a little while to get used to, but I just had to try and remove myself of prejudices and expectations in advance, says Mats.
The long voyage and the incredible experiences have given Mats a taste for more of the Norwegian nature.
- I grown up by and on the sea, so the water has always been an important part of my life. But I have really gotten a taste for being more outside, says Mats.
The success has made Mats hungry for repetition.
- A floating photo office has been a long dream for me. I’ve got to call this adventure a success, because I have lived comfortably the last year. This was just a warm up. I will set sail again.
- It’s been a wild year, the photographer says.
Tromsø is ideal for seeing the northern lights and has a modern mix of outdoor activities, a vibrant nightlife, and places to eat local food.
Planning your trip well helps you get what you want and find the experiences you wish for, without risking your hard-earned days off. And if you don't know what you want, we're happy to help you find some ideas.
Back to top