The Canal in Reddal
The Ågre river, running from the lakes Reddalsvannet and Landvikvannet to Strandfjorden (the sea) west of Grimstad was an important artery also prior to canalisation. It was used for timber floating as well as transport of small ships built in Landvik and the villages further in. The Reddal Canal was completed in 1880, and runs for 3 kilometres from Strandfjorden to Landvikvannet. Between Landvikvannet and Reddalsvannet, the canal measures 500 metres in length.
Reddalsvannet has been awarded nature reserve status, and is subject to speed (7 knots), camping and fishing restrictions. Speed and fishing restrictions are also in force for the rest of the canal. An increase in pleasure
boat numbers, size and speed has escalated the damage to canal walls and beach areas. Today, it is more important than ever to show consideration for the canal itself, the wildlife and the local residents.
Back to top