Partially renovated German coastal fort from World War II in Søgne.
See the cannons (they had a firing range of 12 km) and other interesting exhibits from World War II at the outport of Ny-Hellesund.
During World War II, the German occupying military forces built a coastal fort on Helgøya. Work began in 1942 and included Russian prisoners of war in the work. The purpose of the facility was to protect coastal traffic and the west entrance to Kristiansand.
The fort was originally called "Norway's little Gibraltar." The fort had a workforce of 150. It was armed with four 10.5-centimetre (4.1 in) coastal artillery guns had a range of approximately 12 kilometres (7.5 mi). To protect the fort, there were machine guns, mortars, and flame throwers. Furthermore, the fort was equipped with radar, searchlights, and smoke systems. All together there were 31 buildings there along with 26 bulletproof stone bunkers in the area.
The fort was abandoned in 1945 and many of the buildings were demolished and equipment and facilities were removed in an attempt to erase its memory over the following 30–40 years. In 1987, however, restoration work was begun. Several of the 10.5-centimetre (4.1 in) M/13 Schneider guns are back in place. Fortification, trenches, roads, and tunnels in the area is secured and repaired, so the area is easily accessible.
Free public access to the island all year round either by means of your own boat or with public boat transport from Høllen marina in Søgne.