Sirdal has several churches, each with a colourful history and beautiful designs.
Kvævemoen Chapel was built in 1962. The original alter and stained glass was designed and made by Carrie Ryen. Later (1984) the altarpiece was replaced with a piece made by Else Marie Jakobsen. The pulpit and baptism font was made by Sven Valevatn.
Lunde chapel built in the 1600s was replaced by the Lunde church built in 1873. The altarpiece and the pulpit is from 1620 and was painted by the famous Renaissance artist Gottfried Hendtzschel.
In the 1300s there stood a Catholic church where Maria Tonstad church is located today. In 1639 however, this church was demolished and replaced. Each family had specified seats in the church, the men sat on the right side and the women on the left.
The current church is from 1852 and has since then had several renovations. The current altarpiece is from 1980 and is painted by Emanuel Finn Olsen. The new organ in the church is a beautiful sight.
Haughom chapel is from 1930 and was funded by a government grant and from a collection from the locals. The altarpiece is from 1959 and was designed by the painter Kåre Øijord and Jon Asbjørn Berge, it was a gift from the teacher Tonnes B. Øksendal.
For more information see www.sirdal.kyrkja.no