Bykle old church is located next to the new church building which opened in 2004. This is the oldest and perhaps most distinctive church building in the Setesdal Valley. It is constructed of logs, and has been restored several times. The church, with its altar from 1619, was completely renovated in 1804 when two galleries and a spire were added. The floorboards in the galleries and the timber in the armoury ceiling were originally used in an older church. In 1826, the church was decorated with traditional Norwegian rose paintings by Aslak Wasshus and K.Å. Byklum. In the summer of 1997, the rose paintings underwent a thorough restoration.