Oslo Cathedral was first consecrated in 1697, and in 1950 it was restored back to its original baroque interior.
The church is the main church for the Church of Norway Diocese of Oslo, as well as the parish church for downtown Oslo. The Norwegian Royal Family and the Norwegian Government use the cathedral for events such as weddings and funerals.
Mass, concerts and guided tours
The church has mass in Norwegian on weekdays and high mass every Sunday, and is regularly used for concerts.
Guided tours of the church must be booked in advance.
History, architecture and decoration
The pulpit, altar piece and organ front with acanthus carvings are all originals. The large ceiling murals were painted by Hugo Lous Mohr between 1936 and 1950, and the stained glass windows are by Emanuel Vigeland.
The chapel on the south side, designed by architect Arnstein Arneberg, were completed in 1950. "The bazaar halls" around the cathedral were built in the period 1841-1858.
The church was previously named Our Saviour's Church.
Norwegian name: Oslo domkirke