One of Norway's oldest medieval churches
Medieval church in a beautiful cultural landscape
Stange Church, located in Stange municipality, is one of Norway’s oldest medieval churches, and forms part of Hamar arch-deanery. The current building is a long-church built in brick. It dates back to 1250, but a church at this location was first mentioned in Håkon Håkonsson’s saga as early as in 1225. A fire in 1620 destroyed all the woodwork inside, and also damaged the entrance portal. The interior, roof, and tower are from after this fire. In 1703, a transept extension was added to the north of the nave, and large windows in baroque style were installed. The chancel arch opening was extended to the full width of the chancel. In the early 1700s, the ceiling of the nave was decorated with a cloud motif. Archaeological excavations carried out in 1986 have revealed that there was an older stone church at the same site.
Stange Church has been made famous nationwide through Harriet Backer's paintings “Christening” and “The Holy Communion”. She was friends with Pastor Kielland’s sister, and was a guest at the rectory when she painted her church motifs in 1899-1903. The church is a listed building.